Falk No. 1 loco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falk No. 1 loco

I am just starting a Falk No. 1 loco. Can anyone give me a lead on wheel castings? ( 4 " dia) It looks like a real bother to machine.

I just bought the book last weekend at GEARS in Portland OR. I was very supprised at the lack of information for the boiler. If I build one I will cast the wheels myself.

Dave

Comment

Keep in mind, these locos although cute, are terrible at meets. Too slow for the rest of traffic. If you plan to run it in your own back yard your all set, it will be perfect there.

This is only a heads up.
      Trying to find work to pay for projects, sigh.
      Equipment Owned: Enco 12x36 Geared Lathe
      Working on 1952 John Deere 60 (my new people mover)
      Wanted: Half size steam tractor.

Comment

Check with Unka Jesse Livingston. I think that he made patterns and had the wheels for his cast at Clarksville Foundry.

Comment

Is the boiler the problem with not steaming well or is it something more than that.

Dave

Comment

Yes runs out of steam quickly, but may also be from the wheels small diameter. I have never built one. Only seen owners attempt to get them going. At Adirondack Live Steamers they had one that used to show up. I remember the last year that I had my mogul that it was a extra hour to go what normally was 10 mins for some ones falk to barley make it back into the yard. When I showed up otherwise it seemed the fellow limited his activities to just the yard area.

Comment

Falk

It isn't small wheel diameter....it's lack of steaming capacity to keep the cylinders moving.

It just isn't a very practical design for out running on the track with the 'big boys'.

If you have a limited back yard railroad and want to build something unique and easy to transport, have at it, otherwise, I would recommend something else.

There are lots of good, proven designs for smaller locos that will give you tons of fun without breaking the bank (or your back to transport).
              Bill Shields
              Living proof that just about anybody can build a working loco...

Comment

0-6-0 is good

I can vouch for the practicality of a 0-6-0 loco - all tractive weight is on the wheels, it's compact, relatively light (compared to a Northern, for instance ;-), and it has a long enough boiler to steam properly...
                Greetings,
                J-E

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...

Comment

falk no 1

Thanks for all the input. Since this is my first attempt at a steaming loco, I did not have any delusions of grandeur with it. I just wanted to get the experience. After this, onward and upward.

Comment

That's the right philosophy!
                    Greetings,
                    J-E

Comment

Grandeur

even though it isn't grand, it still isn't something that I would build.

you will end up putting in a lot of time, and have something that really isn't worth the effort.

there are other small locos around that you can build in the same or less time, and really have something that you can be proud of and get out and run with everyone else.

if you need some suggestions, we are full of good ideas.

I hate to see someone spend many 1000's of hours building something that won't run worth a hoot. This is what discourages people from continuing on with the hobby.
                      Bill Shields
                      Living proof that just about anybody can build a working loco...

Comment

first loco

After reading the several comentators, I started looking. I saw Kozo's A3 Pennsy, and a switcher from Little Engines. Any thoughts?

M

Comment

You didn't mention - what gauge are you planning on?

Do you intend to build your own track, or is there a club nearby?

This may affect your choice.
                          Greetings,
                          J-E

Comment

Granted this is the LS&ORR board (I apologize as this was something reprimanded by Clover). But if you went to the site discoverlivesteam they have some nice listings for projects (0-4-0) that have all the hard stuff done.

Comment

Falk

I like the the Falk no.1, it looks like a science fiction contraption. Cant wait to see pictures .
                              Last edited by Steamboy89; 10-04-2009, 08:50 AM.
                              "Science can reveal the first principles of the universe." -Dr.Loyd Steam

Comment

Working...
                              X