Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailing Truck

Hey, Gang,
    On an 0-4-2, how is the trailing truck mounted, suspended and / or equalized? I've googled 'til I giggled and I'm not having a lot of luck. I'm thinking, primarily, of the small contractor's locomotives.

Thanks,guys,
    Greg B.
    Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build Targets....When the guy at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery! The first lie voids all dialog. "From my cold dead hand!" C. Heston

Several choices there.
    Some had radial trucks, running in curved guides, but more commonly, the wheels+axle were linked via a triangular frame to a pivot that was fixed to a cross member of the main (loco) chassis.
    There would usually be a flat plate on frame & chassis with some form of springing between them. (In a wide variety of ways: so many that whatever you do is almost certain to have been used before.)

To locate the pivot point, there were several formula, the most common being Baldrey's rule.

Whilst all need a pivot (apart from the radial trucks) and some springing, few, in 12" scale, were equalised with the main loco springs and I doubt it would be needed on "our" scales.

Comment

trailing

then there was the way they did it in early Atlantics - the trailing wheels were just mounted an a frame extension, no pivot, with just a bit of extra lateral clearance...all equalized, but that's it.
      Bill Shields
      Living proof that just about anybody can build a working loco...

Comment

Trailing truck

Ask the people of:

http://www.lmlr.org.au/locomotives.htm

They have a nice 2' Baldwin 0-4-2T #10533 of 1889 in service

Another site contains 2 photographs of this locomotive:

http://www.australiansteam.com/sugar/baldwin10533.jpg

http://www.australiansteam.com/sugar/baldwin10533a.jpg

regards,
        hudson

Comment

Thanks to all for your consideration.

Alan,
          Baldrey's Rule? Weren't the radial trucks unique to plate frame locomotives?

Hudson,
          I have a General arrangement of the Fairymead Sugar engine, from an old Keith Watson article in LS. It doesn't show any detail of the truck. Thanks for the links.

Bill,
          I'm familiar with those. They are, however, a little more "mainline" than what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.

Thanks,
          Greg B.
          Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build Targets....When the guy at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery! The first lie voids all dialog. "From my cold dead hand!" C. Heston

Comment

typical of what is under the WATO locomotives of australia.
            Attached Files
            Trying to find work to pay for projects, sigh.
            Equipment Owned: Enco 12x36 Geared Lathe
            Working on 1952 John Deere 60 (my new people mover)
            Wanted: Half size steam tractor.

Comment

Trailing truck

Baldwin 6-xx C: (= 0-4-2) with rear tank

The catalogue says on page 49:

... . In this type the driving-wheels are equalized together, and the truck is
              centre bearing,with swinging bolster and radius bar....
              The distribution of weight is as nearly perfect as possible, and the principal
              weight is carried on equalizing levers midway between the driving-wheels. ...
              The pony truck carries the weight of the water and fuel, with part of the
              weight of the overhanging fire-box.

but this applies also to Baldwin 6-xx with saddle tank,except that
              carries water does not apply to the rear truck.

This catalogue (1885) is available at http://www.archive.org/index.php

The file name is illustratednarro00baldrich.pdf

A drawing of a saddle tank loco can be found at:

http://www.ironhorse129.com/Projects...ages/pokaa.jpg

You will find several photographs under Projects as well.

hudson

Comment

Greg, Baldrey's rule will apply no matter what type of frame.
                (Or one of the other rules for determining the pony position.)

Radial trucks were used on plate frames, as you say. I am sure I have read about them being used on bar frames too, but might be wrong about that.

You will also find some information on the topic on Giles' website:
                http://www.gilesfavell.seriouslyinte...es%20index.htm

Comment

Pockets: Take a look at Gene Allens Chloe's trailing truck design and mounting. It is an almost perfect example of a 1880's thru 1920 era Baldwin 0-4-2T trailing truck. It is easy to build and works great if you follow Gene's prints. I used needle bearings in mine, but not necessary.
                  Thanks Alan Francis

Comment

Here's some pictures of our Chloe trailing truck:

http://www.mojaveserver.info/gallery...oe/trailtruck/

Comment

Trailing Truck

Harlock,

Thanks for showing the trailing truck of Chloe.

In the subtitle: "Near complete frame extension, floor and cab"

on your homepage you show also the weight transfer
                      from the frame extension to the truck. Very interesting.

regards,
                      hudson

Comment

Hudson, Alan S., Fairport and Harlock,
                        Thanks for the input. That swing link Chloe truck looks inviting. I may have to get a drawing to extrapolate from for 3.75" scale.

Greg B.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                          Harlock,

Thanks for showing the trailing truck of Chloe.

In the subtitle: "Near complete frame extension, floor and cab"

on your homepage you show also the weight transfer
                          from the frame extension to the truck. Very interesting.

regards,
                          hudson
                          Ah right. I should have included that in my original post. Glad you found it.

Comment

Originally posted by pockets View Post
                            Hudson, Alan S., Fairport and Harlock,
                            Thanks for the input. That swing link Chloe truck looks inviting. I may have to get a drawing to extrapolate from for 3.75" scale.

Greg B.
                            in that scale i have an interesting pic of a trailing truck used in the UK. it has the whole truck mounted to a block sliding on 2 round bars. if you want to see it e-mail me at:
                            fredntoni AT cox.net
                            fix the AT
                            fred v

Comment

Working...
                            X